Reasons to Support Us
- While Limited Assortment Discounters such as Lidl have become an increasingly popular destination for food shopping, there is currently a gap in provision within the areas of Tadley, Baughurst, Pamber Heath and Silchester. For residents in these areas the only food retailers are Sainsbury’s, Co-op and a small Tesco Express, with the nearest Limited Assortment Discounter being Lidl’s existing stores in Basingstoke. The new Lidl at Tadley will therefore provide a qualitative improvement in local food shopping, bringing increased choice and competition, while at the same time reducing the need to travel to stores further afield;
- The new Lidl will provide greater choice and competition in local food shopping and create up to 40 new jobs;
- The development of the foodstore on this site accords with the National Planning Policy Framework which supports sustainable economic development;
- The new store will improve choice and promote competition with up to 30% cost savings;
- Lidl stock a variety of unique product lines which are not available from other mainstream retailers; and
- The majority (61%) of Lidl’s permanent products are sourced from British suppliers, including 100% of our eggs, dairy and fresh meat, which all carry the national Red Tractor logo¹ assuring that they are locally sourced and meet guaranteed farming standards.
- The proposed development will provide a high quality, contemporary building, built to Lidl’s newest specification; and
- The modern building will provide a light, spacious sales area, with full height glazing to the southern elevation facing the junction between Aldermaston Road and Silchester Road, and will be constructed using high quality materials and incorporating energy efficient design features.
- Sustainable construction techniques will be employed as well as the use of sustainable materials;
- Lidl operate a highly energy efficient business with a strong commitment to recycling and the use of energy efficient equipment and techniques within the store to reduce carbon emissions;
- The Building Research Establishment’s BREEAM ratings provide the benchmark against which new buildings sustainability performances are measured. The new Lidl is expected to achieve a rating of Excellent; and
- The store will serve the residential catchments of Baughurst, Tadley, Pamber Heath and Silchester, will be accessible by a choice of modes of transport and will reduce the need to travel to existing discount stores further afield.